With the monsoon almost over, it’s back to sweaty October, that time of the year when we long to bring out our sleeveless tops and cut-out dresses? Not only do they make you feel conscious while wearing sleeveless clothes, but also while wearing a swimsuit or going to a salon for other treatments. However, to understand how to get rid of dark underarms, you first need to understand the causes.
Dark coloration of the skin in the underarms region is usually not a disease or medical condition. Dark underarms can be thought of as the skin’s response to exposure to certain elements, similar to a suntan that results from exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
Some of the main causes of dark underarms are shaving, regular use of hair removing creams, excessive sweating, poor ventilation of underarms, accumulation of dead skin cells, and use of alcohol-based deodorants and antiperspirants.
You can easily get rid of dark underarms using simple home remedies that are safe, effective, natural and affordable.
The mild acidic property present in potatoes is a great natural bleaching agent. Unlike strong bleaching agents, it will not cause skin irritation.
- Simply rub a thin slice of potato on your underarms.
- You can also grate the potato and apply the juice to the affected area, allow it to dry for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Use either of these remedies twice daily for better and faster results.
Just like potatoes, cucumbers also have natural bleaching properties to help lighten discoloured skin.
- Simply rub a thin cucumber slice on your underarms or grate a cucumber and apply the juice under your arms. Do this once or twice daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Another option is to extract the juice from a cucumber and mix it with a little turmeric powder and lemon juice. Apply this paste on the affected area. Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Repeat this home remedy once daily or every other day for best results.
Lemon works as a natural bleach and a powerful antibacterial and antiseptic agent. Lemon can dry out your skin, so apply a moisturizer after using these remedies if needed.
- To remove dead skin cells and lighten your underarms, rub a lemon wedge on the skin for a few minutes. Leave the juice on your skin for about 10 minutes and then wash the area thoroughly. For better exfoliation, you can sprinkle a little sugar on the lemon wedge and then use it. Do this a few times a week.
- Another option is to mix a little turmeric powder, honey or plain yogurt in some lemon juice and apply it to your underarms. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and then wash it off. Repeat three or four times a week.