Eyes are often called the ‘windows to our soul’ and rightly so. Our emotions are conveyed more through our eyes than our expressions or words. This is why it becomes imperative to take good care of them and keep a check on under eye problems like dark circles and under eye bags among others.
Hundreds of eye creams are being sold, all making claims they get rid of dark circles among other problems around the eye area, and yet we have never received feedback from anyone saying their dark circles went away from the products they were using. In addition to using high quality products, you can also fight aging by eating a diet filled with superfoods. These foods are filled with antioxidants that help your body fight pollutants and oxidation that leads to aging.
What Causes Dark Circles?
Dark circles are caused by several factors, and each one needs to be dealt with differently
- Sun damage
- Veins and capillaries that show through thin skin
- Genetic trait for having darker colour around or under the eye area
- Natural shadows resulting from having deep-set eyes or sagging skin
- Build-up of dry, damaged skin cells around the eyes, causing light to reflect poorly
How to reduce Dark Circles?
- If your problem is due to allergies use a mild cleanser and moisturizer for sensitive skin. You might also want to consult your doctor for a prescription to relieve the itching
- Reduce salt intake: Too much salt in the body causes fluid retention in the body leading to puffy eyes and under eye bags.
- Make sure your diet is well balanced and nutritious. Eat foods that are rich in vitamins and iron. Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
- Reduce stress and combat fatigue. Sleep well.
- Wearing sun glasses is important for protection of the delicate under eye area. A good pair of shades will not only protect from harmful sun rays; they will also keep you from squinting out the sun.
- No smoking: The nicotine in cigarettes can cause constriction in the blood vessels, resulting in poor circulation, which enhances the appearance of dark circles.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Exercise regularly. Yoga can help
Having a good skin care routine is important to overall well-being. Taking the extra time to correct dark under-eye circles can do wonders for how a person looks and feels. Knowing what causes dark circles, how to treat them and what to look for in under-eye treatments will have you on your way to a brighter, well-rested you!