You are what you eat! Your skin reflects your eating habits and so it is important that you follow a regular healthy diet. Food that is rich in fibre, high in minerals and vitamins, and contains an adequate amount of good fat and protein is usually the right kind of food for glowing skin. Your food chart for glowing skin needs to include a larger proportion of foods like fruits, vegetables and healthy fat.
You can follow this basic diet plan for glowing skin.
- Breakfast can be a bowl of oatmeal or porridge with fruit and low fat milk. You can have whole wheat toast with an egg too. You should avoid readymade cereals as they tend to be high in sugar and preservatives.
- Lunch can be a light lunch of a salad with one portion of protein. Options in protein are healthy animal protein like lean chicken or fish. You can have cottage cheese, tofu or lentils as a vegetarian substitute to animal protein.
- The mid-day meal is also important in case you have a late breakfast and choose to skip lunch. Eat a fruit like an apple or a pear. Such a fruit tends to regulate body sugar and keep you feeling full longer. You can thus avoid a junk food binge before dinner.
- Dinner becomes an important meal because the night is the longest stretch without fuel for the body and also the time for the skin to repair and heal itself. Eat lighter at night, with a higher intake of fruits and vegetables.
- Do remember todrink plenty of water and fluids as part of this balanced diet plan. Fresh fruit juices are a great way to rehydrate your system.
What foods improve skin complexion?
- Green, leafy vegetables: spinach, kale, collard greens
- Dairy products: cheese, yogurt, milk
- Protein foods: eggs, fish, meat
- Fruits also play a big role in a healthy diet. Fruits provide fibre along with vitamins and minerals. Fruits for improving skin complexion are fruits in the citrus family, watermelon, avocado, berries, papaya, cantaloupe and musk melonsAre fruits and vegetables juices good to improve skin complexion.
Fruits and vegetables have a high vitamin and mineral content and they are also a great source of fluids which hydrate your skin and prevent excessive drying. You can include plenty of salads and fresh juices in your diet. Some of the best juices to improve skin tone are:
- Carrot juice
- Peach juice
- Watermelon juice
- Cantaloupe juice
Some of the vegetables to improve skin color include spinach, lettuce, celery, and kale. Tomatoes and broccoli contain lycopene which has antioxidant benefits. It is also important to remember that eating these vegetables and fruits has a better effect on your skin than drinking their juices.
Including fruit and vegetable juices in your diet is the first step towards a good complexion. However, remember that this alone will not keep your skin healthy; you need to follow a healthy diet, exercise on a regular basis, and have good hygiene habits to ensure that your skin is free of blemishes.