In order to care for diverse skin types, we often group skin into categories. Ascertaining your skin type is an important first step in knowing how to treat your skin, what products to use, and how to have Perfect Skin.
Ascertain your Skin Type
It is a high-maintenance part of your body, which is sensitive to the slightest changes in your health, emotions and environment. You binge on chocolates and your face becomes a mass of pimples; you don’t get a good night’s sleep and dark circles appear under your eyes; you’re out in the sun a lot and you get burnt or develop freckles. The list is endless. Making the right choices about your skin care starts with knowing your skin type. So let’s take a look at skin care regimes for different kinds of skin.
Knowing your skin type is absolutely necessary in order to make a right decision about a proper skin care or treatment, which is suitable for your particular skin needs. The initial quality, or type, of your skin is genetically determined – meaning that you are born with it.However, the health and beauty of your skin later in life largely depends on what you eat and how you take care of yourself.
There are five common skin types: normal, oily, dry, combination and sensitive. Blotting a clean tissue on your face in the morning is an easy way to find out your skin type
- A normal skin type has good circulation and there will not be any trace of sebum (or oil) on the tissue. Normal skin is soft, with a smooth, even skin tone.
- An oily skin type will leave blots of facial oil on the tissue, particularly from the cheeks, nose and forehead. This type of skin has overactive sebaceous glands, producing more oil than necessary. Oily skin can be caused by hereditary factors, diet, hormone levels, pregnancy, unsuitable cosmetics and stress, leading to acne flare ups and enlarged pores. It is vital to thoroughly clean the skin regularly with gentle, soap-free cleansers.
- A dry skin type has a low level of sebum and does not maintain oil easily. Dry skin is often flaky and feels tight after being wiped. Gentle cleansing and a rich protective moisturiser for dry skin is essential to control that tight, uncomfortable feeling. It may be necessary to adjust your dry skin moisturizer for the changing seasons.
- With combination skin type oil is produced around the ‘T-zone’ of the nose and forehead but not on the cheeks, mouth and eye areas. The best skin care for combination skin will involve treating each region differently.
- Having a sensitive skin type can mean different things to different people. It can be caused by skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema or allergies. Sensitive skin can become inflamed and irritated It is important to choose the right skin care for sensitive skin because many cleansers and moisturizers contain ingredients that can cause an adverse reaction.
At Bellissimo Clinic, we know that your skin is unique and so by getting you under our Skin Analyser machine, we can see the pigmentation on your skin clearly, and a magnifying lamp shows us any imperfections. Through a thorough skin analysis we can examine the evenness of your skin tone, sun spots, wrinkles, pores and acne spots. By having such a close up look, we can avoid any guesswork, and are able to offer you professional advice.Your skin mirrors your internal health and breakouts in specific areas can give an insight into what’s causing them. For example, spots on your chin can be caused by stress and a bad diet, while a breakout on the forehead can indicate that you need to drink more water, and eat more whole foods, to improve your bladder’s eliminatory functions.
We need to go through the history of products you use at home, your diet, hormones, as well as things such as pollution, your working environment, etc. The skin analysis takes only a moment, but can offer invaluable skin care advice that will leave your skin clear and your face glowing.